A lifetime of excellence in education
Providence Hebrew Day School was founded in 1946 with a handful of students almost 75 years ago on Waterman Street in Providence. has focused on helping each child develop in a warm, nurturing environment which stresses a high quality of education and middos. We provide a comprehensive program of excellence both Torah General Studies education that prepares students for high school and for their future success in a globally competitive society. We embrace the idea that each child is unique, and we respond to each student's individual needs and strengths.
- Providence Hebrew Day School is an educational institution of the highest caliber. It's accredited by the Rhode Island Department of Education and the Bureau of Jewish Education of Rhode Island and is an afﬁliated agency of the Jewish Alliance of Rhode Island and Torah Umesorah, the National Society for Hebrew Day Schools.
- Our faculty is dedicated to lifelong learning and our experienced and veteran staff teachers have earned master’s or other postgraduate degrees. PHDS provides its staff with ongoing professional development opportunities throughout the year.
- At PHDS, educating our students using cutting-edge technology is a priority. Many of our classrooms are equipped with Smart Boards (electronic whiteboards). This interactive teaching tool engages our students in active learning. Each student has a filtered Chromebook with access to Zoom and Google Classroom.
- Most of our classes have under ten students allowing for one-on-one attention and support geared to the speciﬁc strengths and needs of every child. As a result, students master all subjects not to the class average, but to their own highest ability.
- Enrichment is part of our ongoing program. PHDS offers a comprehensive program of physical education, art, science, and computers. Extracurricular activities include homework labs, drama productions, science, and other academic fairs, and Siyumei Mishnayos.
- Our main goals in Torah Studies are to inspire our students to a lifelong love of Torah study and be motivated to follow its laws, customs, and traditions. A major focus of the school is for students to strive for the highest standards of moral and ethical behavior; and to be sensitive to the needs of Jews and non-Jews in America and throughout the world. We also provide our students with active programming that promotes fulfilling the mitzvos and a love and appreciation of Israel, the Land, and its people.
- Providence Hebrew Day School’s goals include offering our students the finest and most effective General Studies program, using the most modern research and progressive techniques available. Our students are taught to integrate their pride and knowledge as Jews with their full participation in the modern society in which they live.