We welcome you as you consider Providence Hebrew Day School for the education of your child(ren). PHDS’s ability to deliver the finest education to all of our students is made possible through our dedicated faculty and committed parent body. Providence Hebrew Day School focuses on helping each child develop in a warm, nurturing environment that synthesizes Torah with General Studies. PHDS’s aim is to provide a traditional Jewish and contemporary General Studies education that prepares students for high school. PHDS offers a comprehensive program of excellence in all areas of study. We embrace the idea that each child is unique, and we respond to the individual needs and strengths of each student.
At PHDS, we imbue our students with a love for life-long learning, giving them the desire and ability to become independent learners. We prepare our children to be the leaders of the next generation. To accomplish our goals for our students, we at PHDS are at the forefront of change in the educational field. We maintain ambitious academic standards and constantly introduce new academic programs into the curriculum, while expanding professional development opportunities for faculty and staff. Parental and community involvement is paramount to our success, and we encourage participation of all our families in our programs. We are proud to offer the community an education of excellence, centered on Torah values, with a high quality General Studies curriculum.
To schedule a personalized visit, please call Rabbi Peretz Scheinerman at 401-331-5327 #21.
- Providence Hebrew Day School was founded in 1946. Our school started with a handful of students over sixty years ago on Waterman Street in Providence. PHDS now offers a comprehensive program in all subject areas, including Technology, Math, English, Science, Social Studies, Judaic Studies, and Hebrew Language.
- Providence Hebrew Day School is an educational institution of the highest caliber. It is an affiliated agency of the Jewish Alliance of Rhode Island. PHDS has received accreditation from the Rhode Island Department of Education and Judaic accreditation from the Bureau of Jewish Education of Rhode Island. As our NECAP and standardized test scores indicate, PHDS students achieve significantly beyond the state standards.
- Our faculty is dedicated to life-long learning. In addition to years of teaching experience, all of our teachers at PHDS have educational degrees and are involved in school in-service that is geared to keeping them abreast of the latest educational trends. Over half of our faculty has Masters or other post-graduate degrees. PHDS staff is encouraged to continue its professional development, and the school provides such learning opportunities throughout the year.
- At PHDS, educating our students using cutting-edge technology is a priority. Many of our classrooms are equipped with Smart Boards (electronic whiteboards). This interactive teaching tool engages our students in active learning. In addition, we have Science, Music, and Computer Labs.
- At PHDS, every student gets the attention he/she deserves. We strive to maintain small classes (10-18 students) in order to ensure that every child receives the attention he/she needs. As a small school, the teachers are aware of each student’s strengths and weaknesses, and they modify programs, through both resource and enrichment, to enable each student to reach his/her potential. In addition, our small classes enable each child to have individual time with his/her teachers.
- Enrichment is part of our ongoing program. PHDS offers a comprehensive program of physical education, music, art, science, and computers. There are a variety of extracurricular activities including homework labs, chess clubs, drama productions, academic fairs, spelling bees and Siyumei Mishnayos. The school partners with the Jewish Community Center to provide our students access