A good teacher can have a profound impact on his or her students, nurturing their self-esteem, fostering their intellectual curiosity, and instilling in them a life-long love of learning. At Providence Hebrew Day School, we pride ourselves on our professional, accomplished and caring faculty. We are always mindful that each child is unique, with individual needs that we must strive to meet. Our teachers want their students to succeed, and their efforts reflect that commitment.
The Torah recognizes the tremendous responsibility we have to give our children a serious and meaningful education, as it is written: “And thou shalt teach them diligently unto thy child.” (Deuteronomy 6:7) We are extremely fortunate to have a faculty that recognizes that each child is an individual. The teachers are indeed diligent in helping each of their students to reach his or her highest potential.
Important Facts about the Faculty:
- Providence Hebrew Day School has a low student-teacher ratio, with 8-15 students per class.
- All General Studies faculty members hold university degrees, and Judaic Studies faculty members hold university degrees or seminary degrees from prestigious teacher- and rabbinic- training institutions throughout the United States and Israel.
- Over 80% of our faculty has over ten years of teaching experience.
- In order to provide new faculty members with an understanding of the methods, goals and ideals of Providence Hebrew Day School, we hold regular staff meetings and encourage attendance at conventions and other professional growth opportunities.
- Providence Hebrew Day School places a significant emphasis on professional development. Recent examples include the following services of an English curriculum consultant, math curriculum development and implementation; full day staff in-service for all Judaic Studies faculty; and attendance at a variety of national and local conferences. Providence Hebrew Day School faculty has been trained to recognize each child’s strengths and to create a learning environment free from shame and safe for development.
- One of the most important characteristics of the Providence Hebrew Day School faculty is its accessibility to parents. Two parent-teacher conference nights are held each year, and teachers communicate with parents on a frequent basis in addition to the formal conference sessions. Parents are considered part of the “learning team,” and our teachers welcome their involvement.